VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:28:36 -0800
Hi All,

Before I get to my question, I'll tell you about my newest Windows computer.

It's a laptop, the one I've been posting about over the last few days.
Specifically, it's a Xammbox 7" One Netbook One Mix Yoga Pocket Laptop
Ultrabook Windows 10 Portable Mini Laptop UMPC Tablet PC. The
under-the-hood stuff is as follows: Intel Atom X5-Z8350, Quad Core, Dual
WiFi, 8GB. I think it's Bluetooth 4, but can't swear on a stack of
bibles. I got it on Amazon for about $520.

Yes, it's got a 7-inch screen and a hardware keyboard. When the mini
laptop is closed, it's about the size of a half sheet of typing paper
and about an inch (5 cm) thick. It's got a headphone jack, ports for USB
C and micro USB, an HDMI port, a nanno card slot, and one more thing,
maybe a port for the small end of a regular USB cable. The external
speaker is pretty loud. I'm not sure whether it's in the back or
underneath, probably the group of little holes underneath, but the
loudness makes it seem like sound is coming from the grill in the back.

I got this pocket computer because I'm switching jobs. The new job
involves a small but regular amount of computer work. I can probably do
it all on my phone, but I wanted an easy-to-carry backup in case the
computer work is more involved than I anticipate.

At this point, I've really only had the pocket for about a day, so it's
too soon to recommend. In terms of download times and general
responsiveness, it's slightly less responsive than my desktop, which is
a mid range machine. The October 2018 version of Windows is what comes
up, based on the Narrator commands, and in addition to the hardware
keyboard, the device has a touch screen. You're supposed to be able to
fold the keyboard all the way back so it's under the lid, enabling you
to use the pocket like a tablet. That works, but the lid and bottom of
the machine don't quite lie flat against each other, so the experience
feels vaguely bouncy, like you're using your device while riding in a
car. I had no problems setting the Xammbox up, aside from operator
stupidity and not wanting to create a Hello PIN.

So far, the biggest drawback seems to be the battery life. The reviews
I've read say you get about 4 hours from a full charge, especially if
you're streaming. I've recharged the unit twice, and the 4-hour battery
life is consistent with my experience. I got a little less when I was
downloading and installing software, and a little more when I was mostly
just practicing with it.

The keyboard is interesting. Mostly it's the qwerty keyboard we all
know, but there are some changes. The function keys and number row are
short and wide, like standard keys cut in half horizontally. The
caps-lock, comma, period, and slash keys are all half width, so there's
a little bit of an adjustment, with the comma and period especially. the
tab key is above the Q, and backspace (no delete key that I've found so
far) is on the right edge of the q-p row. Weirdly, the semicolon and
apostrophe keys are big and near the arrow keys. The function key is at
the left end of the space bar row. The space bar itself is divided in
two. The thing that breaks it up is, I think, a tiny trackpad you swipe
over and tap. Below the space bar are left and right mouse keys.

I'm not sure how comfortable typing will be over all. My hands, which
are not especially dainty, are about the right size for this keyboard,
so my first impression was that typing would be comfortable for me. .
Over time, however, I noticed that some of the changes were a bother,
especially the punctuation, the tab key, and the fact that I need to
practice to get a feel for the number row. These are all things I may be
fine with in a few weeks, though, so it's hard to say.

Now for my question. And actually, I don't know what my question is.
Maybe it's "Has anyone else noticed this behavior on a device?" or "Is
this a sign of a possible problem?"

I was using Narrator for most of the day yesterday while I was setting
up the pocket and messing around with it. I had a few odd problems with
the keyboard. For example, I couldn't close apps with alt+f4 or
fn+alt+f4. I could only do it with ctrl+w. I couldn't exit and turn off
the computer with that command either. I had to hit Windows+x, then
arrow up to Shut Down. I wasn't too concerned about that because I
figured the function keys had been high-jacked as they so often are on
laptops. But then when I was on the desktop, I had trouble selecting
items. I wanted to delete two shortcuts and rename two other shortcuts,
but when I arrowed to the icons, I couldn't get the correct context menu
to come up, whether I just arrowed to the icon or pressed space on it
first. Much later in the day, I used an OTG cable to hook my regular
keyboard up to the pocket. I didn't change anything else. This time,
everything worked as I expected. I was able to close apps and the
computer with alt+f4, and I was able to delete and rename the desktop
icons by just arrowing to the item. The external keyboard is the
ergonomic keyboard by Microsoft; it's called the natural 4,000 or
something like that.

Why the difference in behavior with the two keyboards?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]