VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:15:12 -0400
Ray

Nice reading reasoned rational comments on this rather than so much
emotionalism that seemingly has propagated the blindness lists over the
last day or so.

I seriously doubt that FS envisions this going through the lengthy legal
process as that might criple it financially -- good legal eagles don't
work for peanuts.  Rather, they envision some sort of settlement be it a
licensing agreement, GWmicro seeking and obtaining a patent on its marker
technology which, in effect, would make that public knowledge, or
whatever.
Sometimes, filing of papers is used as a means of getting the other side
to move towards an agreement which previously had been discussed but not
acted upon.
We may never know the exact solution when it comes as it will be hedged in
some sort of press release perhaps released quietly ssome afternoon when
no one expects it with provisions not allowing parties to discuss it.
Stuff like this is very disconcerting on a human level; but the threat of
legal action is a corporate means of getting other parties to buckle down
at the table, through their attorneys, to resolve matters.
I just hope that neither company is eakened by this as we need strong
players in the screen reader field as that is what has gotten screen
readers to the fine point they are today.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]