VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:35:13 -0700
Tom,
I heard that ad on the radio and it did sound like the Bate's eye
exercises, as described by Aldous Huxley in "The Art of Seeing" in a book
published more than 50 years ago.  Some of the exercises are useful.
Alternately focusing at a nearby object and then at a distant object,
alternating about every two seconds, strengthens the muscles that change
the shape of the lens.  That exercise helped me improve my ability to
change focus on what little vision I had left when I was in college,
making it easier to see a small field on the blackboard and then take
notes.  Others of the Bate's exercises are useless.  They are probably on
the web somewhere.

Tom Karnes