VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:40:25 -0500
   Click for Yahoo! Finance - Rated Number 1 by SmartMoney Magazine.
Many ask where they can find old and discarded equipment on hte trailing
edge of technology.  The article below suggests some answers.  It is from
Wired Magazine.

kelly

          F E A T U R E S |  Issue 5.09 - September 1997

 Dumpster Diving

     There's big bucks in tech trash.

      by Cory Doctorow

     When my grandfather came to Toronto after the war, arriving via
     Halifax on a refugee boat from Hamburg, he went into business as a
     rag-and-bone man, riding a horse-drawn cart through the streets,
     salvaging scrap metal, fabric, paper - trash. Eventually, the
     business grew into a scrap yard and produced the money for a
     split-level ranch home in the burbs, university educations for his
     kids, and a condo in Fort Lauderdale for his retirement years. He
     built his house on garbage, but that fact never struck home for me
     until I met Darren.

     Tonight, Darren, Mike, and I are cruising through the selfsame
     suburb in Darren's police-auction paddy wagon. Darren handles the
     armored truck like my grandfather drove his Caddy - fast enough to
     make a committed cyclist like myself ßinch, but with a great deal
     of precision as he weaves in and out of late-night traffic on the
     icy streets.

     We're whipping through sprawling, one-story industrial plazas,
     slowing only to take a closer look at the dumpsters. We're all
     bitheads, but we're not looking for unshredded hard copy - that's
     old news. We're after tastier trash.

     Finally, we spy a likely-looking site, a strip mall where the lone
     restaurant is perpetually going out of business. Mike puts on the
     superwarm jester's hat his mom made for him the year before he
     dropped out of electrical engineering at Ryerson Polytech. Darren
     pulls into the driveway, past the circling minivans of parents
     waiting to pick up kids from swimming lessons at the strip mall,
     and pulls up around back, along a row of dumpsters. He tugs a
     woolly toque over his long hair, zips up his army-surplus jacket,
     and puts on his heavy leather gloves.

     I grab my own gloves and scramble to catch up. Darren's already
     headfirst in a dumpster, and a minivan is pulling up 20 yards from
     us, switching on its high beams. Darren looks at it. "A fucking
     vigilante. Thinks I'm here to steal" - like it's a dirty word. "Let
     him sit there. It's working light."

     Darren dives back into the dumpster,flashlight clenched between his
     teeth. He tosses something onto the ice at my feet. It's a 3/

        4

     -inch Beta cassette, labeled "Bonanza Episode 87-5654." I peer
     cautiously over the dumpster's edge. Hundreds of broadcast-quality
     tapes. Darren pushes them aside, looking for something with a
     higher dollar-to-dimensions ratio. The paddy wagon's already
     half-full of spent laser toner cartridges and 386s, which occupy a
     lot of volume in a cargo space designed, after all, to transport
     humans in shackles, not the high tech detritus of Toronto's
     proßigate industrial parks.

     There's nothing but reruns in the first dumpster, so Darren moves
     on. He casts long, weird shadows in the minivan's headlights. I
     stare into their glare and try to imagine what the guy behind the
     wheel is thinking. What must he make of three guys in their 20s,
     jumping in and out of the trash? What if he calls the cops? It
     makes me nervous. I mean, what we're doing isn't actually illegal
     or anything. Trash is a strange legal gray zone in Canada. The
     Trespass to Property Act - a hunk of legislation dating back to the
     British North America Act of 1867 - grants property owners and
     their rent-a-cops the power to ban anyone from the premises, for
     any reason, forever. The catch is, they have to actually ask you to
     leave - serve you with a notice prohibiting entry - then you have
     to return for it to be trespassing. And ever since a cop dug
     through a curbside trash can, looking for a ditched weapon used in
     a holdup, and the judge ruled that he needed no search warrant to
     do so, Canada's garbage has become fair game. So as long as we
     don't make a mess - that would be littering - we're on the warm and
     fuzzy side of the law.

     Darren hits pay dirt in dumpster number two. "Active-matrix LCDs!"
     he says, and starts frisbeeing the displays to Mike, who stacks
     them, dozens of them, on one of the prisoner benches inside the
     truck.

     Then suddenly Darren stops, holds one up, and his five o'clock
     shadow splits in a wide grin. He smashes the LCD against the frozen
     corner of the dumpster. "I got 500 of these things back home," he
     exclaims. "It's a fuckin' clown show!"

     He's right - it's all absurd. In less than an hour, I've seen
     literally tens of thousands of dollars' worth of equipment, most of
     it too low on the dollars-to-volume graph to bother with. All of it
     in the trash. Darren's got a quarter-million-dollar recording
     studio, built entirely out of garbage, in a warehouse a couple
     blocks from my own studio. Upstairs, in a soundproofed mezzanine,
     is a room completely jammed with baroque computer trash: old SGI
     servers, NT boxes, 21-inch monitors, cables from here to Hong Kong,
     shrink-wrapped software, bookcases overßowing with manuals. That's
     just the stuff he didn't sell. Ten Darrens couldn't even make a
     dent.

     The vigilante behind the headlights apparently decides he's not
     going to be a hero tonight. He switches back to low beams and pulls
     away.

     We knock off early. It's cold out, a vicious icy windy bastard of a
     Toronto night. Out in the burbs, there's nothing to cut the gales,
     and they find the chinks in your long underwear and scarves.
     We head downtown for Vietnamese salad rolls. I'm mentally
     cataloging tonight's haul: a bushel of gold-tipped RCA cables for
     Darren, 20-some PCMCIA modems, the LCDs, some old 386s, laser toner
     cartridges - to buy it all new would cost thousands. Darren will
     sell it for less than a grand. Still, it's pretty good money for
     three or four hours' work.

     Cruising through Chinatown, looking for a parking spot, we pass an
     electronics store with a sign in the window: "16MB SIMMs - $800!"
     This sparks a story from Darren.

     "Yeah, I was at this distributor out in Mississauga, and they had a
     dumpster filled with little cardboard boxes, like so" - he takes
     both hands off the wheel to form an 8-inch square - "and they each
     had a sticker that said 'Empty Box, Do Not Open.' You get that a
     lot, empty boxes they stick in packing crates so the stuff won't
     shift around. I see one of these boxes, sealed, but with no label.
     I think, well, maybe someone in Japan just forgot to put a sticker
     on it, and maybe someone in Toronto didn't bother to look inside,
     and I open it, and there's 10 16-meg SIMMs inside. Eight thousand
     dollars' worth of RAM! And people wonder why RAM costs so much.
     Sold it for five grand."

     Over green tea, Darren starts to get philosophical. It's an
     occupational hazard. You can't spend half your time alone in
     dumpsters without formulating trash cosmologies.

     "Those guys who go after tin cans and pop bottles, those garbage
     pickers, they're fuckin' nuts! Why waste your time on a nickel
     bottle, when you can sell an empty toner cartridge for 10 or 20
     bucks? They're nuts, man." He looks genuinely upset. He gets upset
     when he talks trash. But he also swells with pride, describing this
     strange little niche he's carved for himself.

     "I got caught in somebody's trash one night, and the next time I
     went back, I found 10 CD-ROM drives, and they'd smashed 'em up with
     hammers, so I couldn't sell 'em." He grimaces. "It's criminal. This
     is useful stuff! Why would they want it to end up in a landfill?"

     Good question.

     Darren takes me out again, just the two of us in his landlady's
     ancient Buick. The night starts slowly, as we cruise past empty
     dumpsters.
     We're in Motorola country, but that dumpster - source of hundreds
     offlip phones and batteries - is off-limits these days. Darren, it
     seems, dropped in one night and found someone else already in the
     trash. Two guys, in fact, pulling out featureless black boxes, the
     likes of which he'd never seen. The guys became, well, aggressive,
     and chased him off. Darren figures they were pros, industrial spies
     working with someone on the inside to spirit out top-secret tech
     via the trash.

     It turns out some dumpster divers come from the other side of the
     thin blue line as well. "The cops around here like to pull me
     over," Darren explains, "just to see what kind of stuff I've got
     tonight. A couple months ago, I got some sports cards from this
     place, and they pull me over, and the cop says, 'Are you kidding
     me? You found these in the trash? My kid spends a fortune on
     these.' So I come back a couple nights later and bam, there's the
     cop, headfirst in the trash. Hell, I don't care. Plenty more where
     that came from.

     "Speaking of which," Darren says, "there's another place I want to
     check out. They moved a couple months ago, but they still haven't
     put a dumpster out at the old site. There's got to be tons of
     stuff, just waiting to be trashed."

     And there is. Acer America Corporation has a big old 40-cubic-yard
     dumpster out. It's about a third full. Darren smiles and sticks the
     end of hisflashlight between his teeth.

     This dumpster is the night's big score. We find 400 laptop
     batteries, five 15-inch Trinitron tubes, half a dozen laptop hard
     drives, most of a carton of shrink-wrapped PowerPC monitor adapters
     - I wince thinking of the 60 bucks I shelled out for one a few
     weeks back - voltmeters, multitesters, and enough miscellaneous
     monitor hardware to fill the whole backseat of the Buick. Cash
     value? Ten thousand Canadian (around US$7,150).

     Of course, it's going to take some effort to turn this garbage into
     money. There's a guy who takes in the monitor trash, and for every
     two units he can build from it, Darren gets one. Only half the
     laptop batteries can be salvaged, by cannibalizing what good cells
     remain from the other half. The salvage guy will keep half of
     those. That leaves Darren with 100 power packs, retail C$200 - if
     he can find a buyer at $75 a pop, that's $7,500 right there.

     After a good two hours sorting the trash and loading the car,
     Darren carefully restores the dumpster to its original state,
     making sure that the same kinds of trash are back on top, that
     there are no suspicious holes or visible bootprints. With luck,
     Acer will refill the dumpster over the next week; once the trash is
     up to the rim, Darren can start tunneling, building corridors
     shored up with cardboardflats from the recycling bin a few yards
     off.

     Around 2 a.m., Darren drops me off at home, a couple blocks from
     his multimedia studio, then heads home to unpack the haul. I'd
     offer to help, but I'm freezing, and my stomach is one big bruise
     from using it as the fulcrum to lever myself into the dumpster.
     Darren, on the other hand, is as graceful as a gymnast, vaulting
     dumpster lips, making impossible twists in tight corners, stooping
     double for long stretches while he burrows.

     Acer America Corporation doesn't know what to make of my phone
     call: "Hi, I'm a freelancer writing a piece about a guy who made 10
     grand off stuff you threw out when you moved."
     I end up being transferred to Marc DeNola, head of security and
     safety.

     "Every product," he intones, "has a product life. In a high tech
     field, the product life can be quite short. At some point, a
     decision has to be made as to whether there is any salvage value.
     When something is discarded, it means that the storage costs are
     greater than the value of the item."

     Why not donate the discards to charity, or hold a yard sale, or
     give them to schools?

     Karen Grant, of Acer's PR company Editorial Edge Inc., insists that
     schools aren't interested in salvage - they want complete, working
     systems. As for yard sales, "It's something we'll have to look
     into."

     So then why are the dumpsters at the new Acer site kept indoors,
     behind locked doors?

     "It's part of the comprehensive security program," DeNola explains.
     "These days, we take security much more seriously."

     Cory Doctorow ([log in to unmask]) is a science fiction writer,
     columnist, and multimedia developer.

        Copyright © 1993-97 Wired Magazine Group Inc. All rights reserved.
        Compilation Copyright © 1994-97 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.