VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Missy Hoppe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Missy Hoppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:19:13 -0400
Thank you, Mick, for understanding my logic. Apart from a small hiccup with
the video card, my experience in getting a computer built locally 5 years
ago was a very positive one. I had a Gateway system prior to that, and it
wasn't particularly upgradeable, which is primarily why it got retired.
I've been working with computers for close to 20 years, now; I'm just not
quite as up-to-speed on the hardware side of things as I'd like to be. I'm
trying to learn, though; have spent a ton of time at Tom's Hardware and
other similar sites. I just wanted to pose my question regarding video
cards and motherboards to a group of blind people in hopes that someone
might have had experiences with some of the components I'm considering and
could provide guidance.
Anyway, for all the reasons mentioned in the original message to which I'm
replying, I really would rather not go to Dell or another similar company.
I do appreciate the advice, though. I've contacted Freedom Scientific, and
they didn't really have any recommendations. I got the understanding that
in general, JFW isn't as picky about things as it was back when I built the
system I'm using now.
Anyway, I think my next step will be trying to contact some local stores,
showing them the list of parts I've picked out, and seeing what happens
from there.
Missy

The person who originally posted the question was doing her homework.
She was researching what was considered best and she wanted more control
by having a custom built system. Like I suggested, she should contact
someone in her area that builds adaptive computers and JFW. Companies
like Dell have no clue when it comes to adaptive technology and should a
problem arise you have to call the company that makes the technology
that you are using. These companies can't send out a tech so you are
trouble shooting over the phone. In having a pc custom built you decide
what goes into it and most come with a year free tech support. Remember,
I said contact someone who builds adaptive computers.

She suggested an Intel motherboard which Dell uses. Dell also uses name
brand components such as Creative, Linksys and USRobtics to name a few.
Dell also uses Pentium, AMD, Maxtor, Microsoft, etc. The only generics
they use are their drives and some video cards. If someone decides to
have a pc built with the same specs then they have more control over
their computer. Dell is great, I have one actually, but they put a lot
of needless software on their systems. I use Zoom Text and Zoom Text and
the video card in my Dell machine have a computability problem. I always
have to remove Dell's video drivers once installed and let Zoom Text
instal the drivers it wants. If you purchase your motherboard
independently then you will receive a disk with all the appropriate
drivers for that motherboard on it. Dell puts it's operating system and
motherboard drivers on one disk and picking out which is which can get
difficult if you don't know what you are doing. Some computer
manufacturers don't even give you an operating system disk instead
having it partitioned right on the hard drive. Having a pc built by a
reputable tech or company (not Comp USA)  also insures that you are not
calling India when tech support is needed. By the way, the person who
had all the problems with Comp USA should have demanded their money
back, you purchased a lemon. The person who builds you a system will
give you all the disks I mentioned.

In this case building a pc with a Creative sound/video card and also
Creative dvd/cd drives would be more beneficial. Drivers and updated
software for name brand components are easily downloaded for free from
the manufacturers web site. A base computer can cost around $500.00 to
$800.00 but this doesn't include all the peripherals. If you are going
to get a new system you might as well go all the way.

These are only my opinions and by no means recommendations. I mean no
offense to anyone who has commented on this topic.

Mick

Archived on the World Wide Web at

    Signoff:
    Subscribe: