VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:45:28 -0500
From: "Freedom Box Sales" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 3:00 PM
Subject: Important news about Freedom Box

    Dear Fellow Member of the Blind Community:

Like you I've spent a lifetime overcoming the barriers that the "sighted
world" erects out of ignorance and indifference.  Access to the goods
and
services
available over the Internet is a case in point.  The Internet should be
fantastic boon to blind people and people with other so-called
disabilities.
 But the technology that allows people to access the Internet has, until
now, been a major barrier for anyone with difficulties using
point-and-click
technology. It dawned on me that it wasn't me and people like me who
were
"disabled;" it was the so-called access technology that was disabled
because
instead of enabling access it made it nearly impossible.  I put all of
my
energies into designing an access device that was truly accessible.  And
knowing that most of us are not computer geniuses, I packaged it in a
box
that is ready to go.  Plug it in and you are on-line, with the same
access
to products, news, information, entertainment, e-mail, chat, job
postings,
shopping, and more - all the Internet services others have enjoyed for a
decade or more.  I call the access device Freedom Box.  And it works
with
just your voice or an easy to learn keypad.  No training necessary.  It
is a
conversational interface that is ready to go as soon as you plug it in.
You
don't need a computer to use the Freedom Box. it is a stand alone
system.
But getting on the Internet is not enough.  Many if not most Web sites
are
very unfriendly to people who depend on text-to-speech technology. So we
went a step further.  We brought together all of the most-desired
products
and services into an extremely "friendly" on-line community that we call
Freedom Box Network.  You can find almost anything you might want on the
Freedom Box Network.  And, if you still want to wander out on the
Worldwide
Web, Freedom Box Network has a gateway to the net that lets you do that
as
well.

The Freedom Box is market-ready.  We are in the final stages of testing
,
using our network of skilled testers to run the system and
service through its paces.  We are pre-booking orders and expect to
launch
early in 2002.  We invite you to call our customer representatives toll
free
at 1-877-661-3785 and talk with them about the product and service.  You
may
even want to preorder your Freedom Box. We will not charge for it until
we
are ready to ship. You may also visit our web site at
www.freedombox.info.

We have a Braille brochure and an audio-tape demonstration that we would
be
pleased to send you or any of your offline friends.

The major remaining barrier between us and a successful launch is seed
capital.  We have completed our business plan and we are presenting it
investors
at every opportunity.  I don't have to tell you that the investment
climate
is very, very cautious right now.  We have many interested investors but
they
all want more proof before they drag out their checkbook.  As you well
know,
the non-disabled community has a very hard time believing that we
represent
a viable market.  That's where you can help.

Our potential investors are asking for more market data to prove the
potential of the business plan.  We have devised a survey that will
deliver
the data
we need and posted it on the Web.  We ask you to go to
www.freedombox.info/survey
and take the survey.  Then, if you want to be really helpful, get
together
with your friends and acquaintances who don't have Internet access and
help
them
take the survey as well.  The more the merrier.  Pass the address on to
everyone you know and get them to speak out through the survey.

Believe me, if we, as a community, respond to the survey en mass
investors
will listen and we will get the critical capital we need to get on the
air.
Once we are on the air, our momentum will carry us to success.

Freedom Box and the Freedom Box Network is alive and ready to go.  If
you
let yourself be heard and if you pass this message along and encourage
everyone you know, anywhere in the world, to also let themselves be
heard by
responding to our survey, we may well be on the air by the holidays.

Thanks for your help and understanding.  I look forward to hearing from
you
soon.
Mike Calvo CEO
Ph: (305) 740-3755 Ext 20