VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:46:19 -0400
I for one would not mind. People who are on the net and in email groups
should have knowledge of and instruments to remove viruses from their
system. I use Norton System Works and find this very helpful. I keep it
up dated on a regular basis. I am not proposing that people do not use
Outlook but I use Netscape to read my mail. Outlook as well as all
Microsoft web products is very vonerable and under constant attack. The
basic thing to remember is never open an attachment from someone that
you do not know or trust.

A virus will attach itself to your email program and send itself out to
others in your address book without your knowledge. One trick to help
thwart this is to enter the email address of: aaaa@aaaa into your
address book. This email address of course is bogus and does not have a
.com or any other domain on it. The 'aaaa'  will prompt your mail reader
to place the address first in your address book. It is a dead email
address so if you become infected the virus will pull the first address
from your address book to propagate itself. Once the virus determines
that this is a dead email address it will discontinue and thus be
disabled. This does not rid your machine of the virus it just stops the
virus from sending it out from your machine. I have different removal
tools for different viruses so if you would like them posted please let
me know.

Should you ever become infected please do not panic. There is a fix for
all known viruses. If you do not have virus protection then go to any
virus software home page and do a scan of your machine. Most virus
software manufacturers offer free scanning and removal. I have a few
links to free virus software and will post them once I get into my other
email accounts.

Mick

--
http://www.campermick.com