VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:27:41 -0500
Software helps the blind see - via smartphones
  It can identify faces as well as objects
  By Hiawatha Bray - Globe Staff July 22, 2013
  It can be hard to find what you're looking for at the
supermarket - even harder when you're blind.
  But shopping recently got a lot easier for Karla Geagan, a
legally blind 15-year-old from Wayne, Penn.  She has been testing
new technology from Visus Technology Inc., a Boston company that
programs smartphones to identify people and objects.
  "I can point at anything, no matter how far away, and it'll
tell me what it is," said Geagan, "In the grocery store, I just
point it to the food item, and I know instantly what it is."
  Geagan is one of nine middle-school students who have completed
a two-week test of the Visus Visual Assist System, conducted by
Carroll Center for the Blind in Newton and cosponsored by the
cellphone carrier Verizon Wireless.
  At Carroll Center for the Blind, students tried a new
smartphone.
  "It allows a blind or visually impaired person to utilize the
speech capability of an Android phone, with the camera
capability, to do a variety of visually related tasks," said
Brian Charlson, the Carroll Center's director of technology.
  Chief executive Stephen McCormack said Visus is building a tool
to help blind people more easily integrate themselves into
sighted society.
  "With roughly 15 million people that have some visual
impairment in the United States . . .  there's a very significant
market," said McCormack, a graduate of the College of the Holy
Cross in Worcester with a doctorate in biomolecular engineering
from the University of California Santa Barbara.
  The Visus system is set to go on sale early next year.  Its
$999 price tag will include a Galaxy Sbled phone, a wireless
Bluetooth earpiece, and a 4G wireless hot spot for sharing the
phone's 4G data service with other devices.
  McCormack said the company hopes to offer a version for Apple
Inc.'s iPhone by early 2015.
  The Visus software comes with a host of visual aids.  Geagan's
favorite feature identifies retail items by scanning them with
the phone's camera.  The software consults a database of common
retail products to identify the goods.
  Another tester with limited eyesight, 15-year-old Kyle
Quinnzaino of Everett, is a big fan of the phone's magnification
system, which uses the camera's zoom lens to display enlarged
images of hard-to-see items, like the Carroll Center's cafeteria
menu.
  "Sometimes I couldn't see it," Quinnzaino said, "so I'd take
out my phone so I'd know what we were having for lunch or
dinner."
  The Visus program can be trained to identify faces, so a blind
person who encounters a friend or colleague won't have to guess
at a name.  Instead, he can scan the face with his phone.  An
electronic voice can announce the person's name through a
wireless Bluetooth earpiece.
  Another Visus feature lets the user scan a large area with the
camera to pinpoint objects containing text, such as signs or
bulletin boards.  The software can translate the text to speech
and read it aloud.  The phone also makes it easier for a blind
person to find a restroom.  It is programmed to recognize the
standard symbols indicating a men's room or women's room and
point them out to the user.
  "The low-vision kids think it's a hoot," Charlton said.
  The software can even generate a map of the inside of a
building.  Using software licensed from a defense contractor,
Visus can shoot a video as the user is guided through the
building.
  The next time the user visits the location, the software uses
this video map to tell him how far to walk and when to turn left
or right.
  Karen Ross, the Carroll Center's director of education
services, noted that most blind or visually impaired youngsters
attend the same schools as other kids, but their vision problems
make it difficult to keep up and fit in.  The Visus system could
help change that, Ross said.
  "It levels the playing field for those students so they can
compete with their sighted peers," Ross said.
  The system could also make life easier for senior citizens
whose vision is fading, or those who have trouble remembering
names.
  Hiawatha Bray can be reached at [log in to unmask]

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]