VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2016 08:05:14 -0700
I find that NVDA works better on the web, especially with forms and web
apps. With Jaws, I am sometimes not able to click items, and it isn't
unusual for me to find controls with NVDA that Jaws doesn't detect. This
happens often enough that I suspect it's due to some fundamental
difference in the way the two screen readers work.

Until a semester or two ago, I noticed this a lot in Blackboard, an
instructional web service used in education. there were lots of things,
like adding documents for students to access, that just didn't work with
Jaws but worked fine with NVDA. More recently, I've noticed that the two
screen readers work about the same. I'm not sure whether the improvement
was to Blackboard or to Jaws.

As far as other examples, ... About a month ago, I went into my Google
account to remove some Android devices I no longer use. I don't remember
the steps, but near the end, you click on the device name, click a
Remove button, then click Remove again on a confirmation screen. I think
NVDA identified the device name as a clickable item while Jaws didn't.
also, with NVDA, I was able to tab to and press enter on the second
Remove button while with Jaws I could neither find it nor click it.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]