VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:24:32 -0700
Hi all,

This question is for Audible subscribers. In a nutshell, I want to know
how you read about the audio books being promoted.

About once a week, I get promotional emails from the company that link
to titles selected by Audible editors or Audible customers. The messages
have subject lines like "Top Literary Crushes" or "It Sucked Me in and
Twisted Me Up." You're supposed to open the message and click on a link
that says roughly the same thing as the subject line. The web page that
then opens is supposed to show some titles and blurbs or some
categories, which, in turn, link to titles and blurbs about the books.

When I try to read the web page, I don't find information about the
books. I find categories. In the case of the literary crushes,
categories are things like love triangles, leading men, and leading
ladies. Jaws says, "Tool bar end," after each category, and though the
categories are clickable, nothing seems to happen when I click
regardless of whether I use mouse simulation, the space bar, or the
enter key. With NVDA, results are slightly better, pressing enter on the
categories brings up some titles, but I get the feeling I'm not reading
the full information, and pressing enter on them doesn't seem to do
anything else.

The weird thing is that I think I'm sometimes able to read about the
books, so for a while, I thought I had problems because I wasn't giving
the page enough time to load or because the page was hanging for
whatever reason. But now I'm starting to think there's an accessibility
issue.

Before I contact the company, though, I want to make sure I'm not
missing something. I've also tried using Chrome and Internet Explorer.

I'm using Jaws 15, windows 8.1, and the current versions of Internet
Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and NVDA.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]