VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:18:35 -0800
>Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 14:17:10 -0800
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seattle Online Grocery Delivery Service
>
>Hi All,
>
>Those in the Seattle area may be interested in an online grocery delivery
service.  The site can be found at:

>http://www.homegrocer.com
>
>Before you surf off to buy your bread or grab your grub, be aware that
this web site is somewhat of a challenge to use with a screen reader.
First and foremost you'll need a web browser that supports Java.  Second
you'll have to be able to complete web forms and be comfortable with a web
site that isn't a model of accessibility.  There may be a way to get this
site to work with Lynx or other browsers than Internet Explorer and
Netscape but I didn't try.  I'm not certain if Java is critical to all
functions or just makes some easier.

>Once you sign up for the service by completing an online registration
form, shopping is possible.  General product categories are listed in a
frame titled Left.  Once you select a category, a new frame appears titled
Middle which contains either more specific subcategories or individual
products.  When you move through a list of products, each product appears
to have four links.  The first takes you to a detailed description of the
product, the second is an edit box where you can type the number of the
given product and the third and fourth are Javascript links which
automatically increase or decrease the number in the edit box that reflects
the amount of a product you want to purchase.  To add products to your
shopping list, you must use a link in a frame titled Right.  Order
completion and payment options are handled with links in a frame titled
Subtotal that appears after you actually add products to your cart.

>If you select the link which gives product details, a new frame titled
Main will appear.  This frame has links to similar product categories for
the item you've selected to get more details about.  There's also a search
frame but be aware that the button to submit your search is missing an alt
or value attribute so your screen reader is likely to only say "button"
when you tab to it.  The site does have some list features which may help
to speed the shopping process after an initial exploration.

>My impression of this web site is that it can be used with some practice
and perhaps a bit of trial and error.  I was able to select the products I
wanted once I figured out how the web site worked.  I do not live in
Seattle so can't comment on the actual prices or quality of service.