VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Lange <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Lange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2015 06:37:16 -0700
About a year ago, my girlfriend frantically called me at work and said that Microsoft had called our number to inform us that my computer had been hacked and also that it had a nasty virus which was being spread around our Internet provider's network. She told the caller to allow her some time to check with me to see if I knew anything about it, and asked  that the caller call back in a couple of hours. I told her that the whole thing was bogus, asked her to get some contact information, and told her to do her best to intimidate and/or embarrass the hell out of them.  Well, when they called back, she asked for the Internet provider's network information and they said that we were with A T and T, whereupon she told them that we knew that what they were doing was B.S., that we were with another provider and told them, not so politely to go copulate with themselves. Though we got a good laugh out of it, it served as a good object lesson that those who are unwary and not so tech-savvy need to be really, really careful about letting scammers work on their machines, potentially wreaking havoc and extracting considerable sums of money from them in the process.

Sent from my iPhone