VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Groat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Groat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:05:10 -0800
Hi all,
Whether the best way to go is with (Eye-Pal Solo or c Computer & Scanner) is
dependant on the intended use for not only today but in the future.  The
Eye-Pal Solo will only read the document, there is no saving it.  This is
something to consider.  With using a computer & scanner, the scanned page
can easily be saved or deleted.

I use my scanner a lot.  The flexibility that the scanner allows me makes so
many things simpler.  With the concept that by your doing emails, you have a
computer.  A flatbed scanner can be obtained for about $100-200.  The key
item is to be sure that the scanner is TWAIN COMPLIANT.  My flatbed scanner
has passed on after about 6 years.   So now I am after another flatbed
scanner.  I know that I can get a scanner for a lot less money that a device
as the Eye-Pal Solo.  I figure I can do a lot of scanning for the cost
savings of about $1,200.

Even if you need to by an OCR program, the bottom line is still less.

Again, I suggest analyzing your needs (both short and long term) and go that
route.

Michael