VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2020 14:23:42 -0700
Rachael:

First, to move away from Narrator's start screen window after turning on the application, press Windows+m. This will take you (though Narrator doesn't specifically tell you this) to the Desktop. From here you can tab around to your Taskbar and other areas of your computer. The problem, of course, is, that if you don't have any other windows open, when you press Alt+Tab to shift between Windows, you will be right back where you started from--in that Narrator window, and you will have to press Windows+m to get out of there again. Fortunately you can set up Narrator so that when it starts, that Narrator window never appears, and you can do it using either Narrator or JAWS. Here are the step-by-step instructions (and you can do these from anywhere on your system, including inside that Narrator window):

1) Press Windows+I to get to the Settings menu.
2) You will now be in an edit box. Press the Tab key once and your system should say: "System".
3) Using your right arrow key, tab until you hear "Ease Of Access" and press enter.
4) Again you will be in an edit box. Press your tab once and you should hear the word "Display" (JAWS will say the word "Vision" before it).
5) Now press your down arrow until you hear the word "Narrator" and press enter.
6) Now tab through the Narrator settings until you hear the words "Show Narrator Home When Narrator Starts". This box is checked by default.
7) Press the spacebar to uncheck this option. You may also wish to tab over to the next option, "Minimize Narrator Home To The System Tray" and check that.
8) When you're done, press Alt+F4. Then stop and restart Narrator (Caps Lock+ESC to turn off, Ctrl+Windows+Enter to turn back on). That Narrator Window should no longer be visible when you start Narrator.

Hope this helps.

--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides, if not more.