VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin Tibor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:26:20 -0700
I can't believe that I am the first one to think of this but here goes.
Sorry if this old news. I was thinking about some the support issues when
assisting visually impaired users with tech support issues when I thought
why not use a webcam to view the screen, printer or whatever the offending
device might be. This could be very helpful for silent error dialog boxes.
All it takes is a cheap webcam which now can be had for under $50 and
setting up an account with Microsoft Hotmail and downloading Microsoft Net
Meeting. The service is free but if it works a visually impaired individual
could easily contact someone on the internet and point their webcam at
anything they may need support with or might be curious about. If anyone
wants to try it you can contact via my account at MSN Messenger Hotmail is
[log in to unmask] Point your camera at something and I will tell what it
is assuming I can identify it. You will need a webcam, and download MSN
Messenger and Microsoft Netmeeting (they are free downloads).

Marty Tibor
Synapse
Speech Recognition and Adaptive Technology
3095 Kerner Blvd., Suite S, San Rafael, CA  94901
toll-free 888-285-9988
http://www.synapseadaptive.com
-------
40 page accessible text formatted catalog
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/txt/synapse1999.txt
-------
40 page Adobe Acrobat format catalog
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/pdf/Synapse40p.pdf (requires Adobe Acrobat
Reader ver. 4)
-------
http://www.naturalspeak.com
Providers of adaptive and assistive technology solutions.
-------
http://www.unixspeech.com
UNIX, mainframe and Mac speech recognition
-------
Speech recognition technical assistance
Synapse hosts the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Unofficial Information Pages
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/default.htm