VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:40:20 -0000
Hi Janice,

Drilling down to the Templates folder is a bit if a pain,
but that's where normal.dot should be located.

The totally and completely stupid thing is that if you were
to do a "Save As" and change file type to "Template" to
create a new Template, it actually opens the correct folder.

The following after my signature is from Word 2003's Help
files.

George.

The Normal template (Normal template: A global template that
you can use for any type of document. You can modify this
template to change the default document formatting or
content.) opens whenever you start Word, and it includes
default styles, AutoText, macros, toolbars, and other
customizations that determine the basic look of your
document.

On the File menu, click Open, and then navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.
If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the
arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click Document
Templates.
Double-click the Normal.dot file to open it. To be certain
that you're working in the default template, check to see
that Normal.dot appears in the Word title bar.
Make any changes you want, using the menus and dialog boxes
just as you would to change default settings for a document,
but remember that any changes you make to Normal.dot will be
applied to documents that you create in the future.
When you have finished, on the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A
bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out
commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools
menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click Save .
Note  If Normal.dot is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word
automatically creates a new version (which uses the original
default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new
version will not include any customizations you made to the
version that you renamed or moved.

List
Knuth
> Sent: 01 February 2005 15:04
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [VICUG-L] Default Font setting
>
> I have that problem also.  I am using Windows XP and
> Microsoft Word in Office 2003.  However, I have
experienced
> this in all versions of Windows and Word that I have used.
>
> I usually type in 12 point Arial, as I think that is the
best
> setting for most people with normal vision, and it works
well
> generally for my level of low vision.  I have set it as my

> default just as Stewart described, but it does often
revert
> back right in the middle of a document.  Here at PIAT, we
are
> trying to make our documents as accessible as possible for

> screen readers and for putting on the web by using Styles
and
> Formats.  It seems that the font reversion is worse than
ever
> when I am using that feature. I can always reset the Font
> 12 point Arial, but it is a bother to have to keep doing
it.
> I have not found any pattern for when it does it.
>
> When I was using Office 95, I was advised by a Word
trainer
> to look for a document called Normal, and put in your
> preferred settings.  It was a blank document which was a
> template for all documents, but could be modified document
by
> document. However, I have not been able to find that
normal
> document on any subsequent versions of Word.
>
> Janice Knuth

Bell
> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 6:58 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Default Font setting
>
> Can you be a shade more specific?  Like WHEN it reverts
back?
>  Is it after running a particular program for example?
> Can you reproduce this a will?
>
> George.=20

Stewart Hughes
> Sent: 31 January 2005 20:39
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VICUG-L] Default Font setting
>
> Hi,
> I am  helping another visually impaired individual with
her
> computer skills.  She uses JAWS to access her PC but still

> has some vision.
> Like many other visually impaired people she likes
whatever
> visual feedback she can get.  So she has her default font
set
> to Arial black with a 14 point size.  This was changed by
> going into the "Font" dialogue box, making the changes,
> tabbing to default, entering and saying yes to the change.
> This allows her to at least see something happeing on the
> screen as she types.
>
> The problem is that this default setting occasionally
reverts
> back to the times new roman, 12 point.
>
> Can you think of any reason for this?
> She is running XP Home edition as her OS.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Sincerely,  Stewart

> [log in to unmask]  In the body of the
message,
> simply type "subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l"
> without the quotations.
>

> =0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.