VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:35:54 -0500
The problem may be with  the list member's ISP, not the List host.  I have
had three periods of e-mail messages  not reaching me, including some that
were from various LISTSERVs.  It was erratic and only a few didn't reach me.
Some of the messages were from LISTSERVs that periodically poll members'
e-mail addresses	s			 and drop the subscriber
after X number of tries.

After talking with my ISP's tech support, Verizon, and getting no
satisfaction because they could not replicate the events, I discovered that
Verizon had a special 800 number for unresolved issues and complaints.  I
called the 800 number and got a personal  tech person who gathered all my
information on the missing messages and the senders, including the sender's
e-mail addresses.  At first, the Verizon special support people told me that
they expected the problem to be that the senders were moving mail using some
parameters that didn't meet the Verizon requirements.  After a couple weeks
of investigation by Verizon, they verified that not one of the senders were
using parameters that didn't match the Verizon requirements.  After a few
weeks the problem seemed to resolve itself.  Of course, I wouldn't know of
messages I didn't receive unless the sender contacted me.

The problem arose a couple other times over a two year period  and then
resolved itself again.

Here is my guess based on the past experiences:   There are multiple mail
servers operated by the large ISPs and they are updating their lists of
valid e-mail addresses  on some frequent schedule.   My guess is that one or
more of the servers is/was either not working properly or the list of valid
e-mail addresses was not being replicated across all the Verison (in my
case) mail servers.  These two possibilities would account for the erratic
pattern of missing messages and the difficulty in identifying the
problem/cause.

Just a side note:  During one period of missing messages, I had the sender
e-mail me at another e-mail address that was not at Verizon but still used
Verizon's pipe for carrying the messages.  Not surprisingly, if I sent or
received through this alternate e-mail address, there were no problems.

Just my thoughts.

My recommendation is to ask your ISP to verify the mail parameters that they
require in comparison with the sender's parameters.

Stan