VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:11:02 -0600
Thought this may be of interest,
Jamal

----- Forwarded Message Follows -----

From: "Dennis Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Windows 98 Access COncerns

Ok, let's put the rumors to rest here....
Larry accepted a position of Technical Projects Leader for APH a few months
back.  Since then, MicroTalk has released two updates to ASAP, (our
DOS-based screen reader,) and an update to ASAW, (our Windows 3.1x and
Windows 95 screen reader,) and 5 updates to ASAW98Beta, (our upcoming 95,
98, and NT screen reader.)  Not too shabby for a company that people keep
saying went out of business when Larry went back to APH!
The fact is that Larry worked for APH when ASAP was first released back in
1991, and throughout the time MicroTalk developed the ProWords, ProTerm,
and ProBasic line of Apple software through the 80's.
MicroTalk is still going strong, with a same amount of personnel we've
always had!  We still have a full-time Sales, full-time R and D staff, and
a full-time Support staff, all moving right along, even though the Big
Kahoona works for APH!

We'll be releasing a Public Beta of ASAW98 on or around June 25th, so our
users that want to jump right into the Windows 98 when it is released can
do so with ASAW98Beta.  We'll be continually adding the items not yet
enabled in ASAW98Beta as we go--NT support, etc., but most features are
already enabled, such as Interactive MSAA support, (turn it on when needed,
and turn it off when not), improved screen updating, better graphics
labeling, and a ton of "under the hood" tweaks!
The upgrade to ASAW98 for currently registered ASAW users is free, and the
upgrade to registered ASAP users is $395.  Check out www.microtalk.com for
further info, or to download a demo/update.

Dennis Brown
MicroTalk Support
(404) 299-6832
http://www.microtalk.com

> Subject: RE: Windows 98 Access COncerns
> Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 5:43 PM
>

> Hi Damon. It is my understanding that Larry Scutchan has gone back to
work
> full time for APH. I wonder about the future of ASAP and ASAW. It's kind
> of Steve Smith and Flipper. He had a day job, and couldn't give adequate
> time to supporting and developing the product. Too bad, because it was a
> great DOS screen reader.
>
> Andy Baracco
>
> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Damon Fibraio wrote:
>

> > You know, I probasbly will upgrade to win98 for one reason. The
stability.
> > And I use a unix shell account with lynx, so my web browsing right now
is
> > safe. I use ie3.02 occassionally, but not enough to warrant using it
all
> > the time. Then again, I haven't installed msaa yet. Still  running
asaw,
> > which doesn't support it yet, but soon will.
> >
> > --
> > Damon Fibraio, email [log in to unmask]
> > Keyboardist, vocalist, and looking for work
> > "I can see much clearer, now I'm blind."--Dream Theater, Take The Time,
> > Images and Words
> >

> > --
NFB.