VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:16:20 -0500
Jim:

Personally, the strategy I prefer for using an e-mail  account that is not
tied to my ISP, I would open a domain with a responsible hosting service,
set up an e-mail account which would give me the flexibilitiy to access the
mail anywhere and change ISP without the hassel of changing mail account
information for every  personal and/or business  contact or account.

And for my software on my computer I would prefer to use Outlook Express or
Thunderbird -- I dislike Outlook 2007 and later because the ribbon menus are
fundamentally not accessible and quirky, and tied to Microsoft with it's
idiosynchracies .

Outlook does, or at least did have a size limit and the messages are all in
a single PST or OST file, depending.... And because the messages are all
stored in a consolidated file, things are slower than needed.  The original
Outlook Express used a dbx file for each of the folders in OE which made it
somewhat more  efficient than Outlook; the problem was that OE was designed
with a limitation on how large a total amount of data was in the dbx folders
taken together, I believe.  There is a new version of Outlook Express that
is available that I ran across about a year ago and it is being developed by
a group other than Microsoft.  When I talked with them, they told me that
they were not finished making it accessible with a screen reader but that I
should check back -- which I am about to do.  This OE version will work with
Windows versions since Windows XP, unlike the MS version of OE which was
only compatible with Xp, and maybe Vista, but not Windows 7 or more recent.

This new OE is more rich in features and , better otherwise from what it
seemed.  The cost is $25.

If interested, let me know and I'll dig out the contact information for the
developer company.

I find MS products to be ever more complicated, and quirky, with continual
updates which require contued need to update the screen reader and other
interdependent programs.... And the auto-updating often doesn't work
properly and/or settings are not retained making it erratic and
unnecessarily labor intensive to use.

Thanks for the links you provided.  I'll dig out the OE link for the new
version for you.

Oh, BTW, Outlook is a memory hog and has been causing frequent problems on
my computer by "not responding" for a few minutes, and sometimes, completely
locking up my computer -- ... I don't see a reason for the performance
deterioration  arising from the computer's  limitations as it is an I7-870
quad core that has 2 threads per core, runs at 2.93 with a booster up to
3.something when needed, and has 16 GB ram and a 2 TB hard drive... The
performance degradation makes no sense.  The "program not responding" seems
to occur with MS programs and I don't ever remember it has ever happened
with any non-Microsoft programs.  What I've found as a work around is to
periodically clear out many of the temporary files on my computer using
C-Cleaner or shutting down the computer periodically -  there seems to be a
problem with build-up of temporary files or something with a similar effect.

Stan