VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 May 2016 19:11:26 -0700
I've done a little work with Google Docs. Mostly I've used it on my
Android, then downloaded the file to continue working on my computer.
The times I've used Docs on the PC, I've thought,"If I had to use this
for work, I'd be fine with it for projects, but I'm not sure I'd be fine
with it as an everyday tool." The interface on the PC takes a little
getting used to though I think I had the hang of it after a couple of
days. The problem is that some commands don't quite work. The one that
comes to mind is say-line. I think I need to up-then-down arrow once to
hear the current line. As someone who writes and edits text regularly,
my workflow involves a lot of say-line, so for me, that's a particular
annoyance. Having said all that, Docs is fairly accessible, and it is
neat to edit with someone.

You can use Docs in your favorite browser on the PC. I usually use it in
firefox.

Btw, ChromeVox is one of Google's screen readers. It runs on Chrome
Books with the Chrome OS, but you can also check it out on the Chrome
browser on your PC. since it is a screen reader, it has it's own set of
commands.