VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:39:58 -0400
Leslie:

While the victor reader stream is certainly a good product, I absolutely
adore my BookSense XT. It's a bit smaller, and since it comes with a
lanyard, I always have it hanging around my neck; hence, no chance of
dropping it while on the bus, listening to books while doing chores around
the home, etc.  The XT model has 4GB of internal memory as well as an SD
card slot, and it has an FM radio built in.  While this radio isn't the most
sensitive one by a long shot, it will certainly pick up local stations, so I
regularly use it to listen to Morning Edition on my local NPR station while
traveling to work.  Both units also have a clock (which reads out down to
the second); which clock also has an alarm feature.  While serving as the
secretary of my local ACB chapter, I regularly used the BookSense's recorder
to record meetings.  Admittedly, I use a very high-quality external mike,
but the BookSense made absolutely wonderful, clear recordings.  Also, while
you can readily convert the stream's proprietary sound files to wav or mp3
files, it's nice not to have to bother having to do this with the BookSense
since, as has already been pointed out, the BookSense allows you to record
in WAV and MP3 formats at a variety of sampling rates.  Regarding the
comment in William and Pamela's post about their experience with the
BookSense, they did indicate that this was shortly after the BookSense came
out.  Frankly, I bought a BookSense within a week of its release, and for
the first month of ownership, I seriously considered returning it since the
initial iteration of the firmware was quite buggy.  However, we're now at
firmware version 2.2, and the unit crashes infrequently.  I've never had it
do so during a critical recording.  I dare say that when crashes have
happened, it's been the result of my pressing too many buttons too fast.

Again, I'm not knocking the stream, but frankly, since acquiring my
BookSense, tmy stream has all but been put in mothballs.

The BookSense is now being marketed directly by HIMS, although some venders
of blindness products may be reselling it.

For further information, go to:

www.hims-inc.com

Hope this helps!

John