VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2018 16:56:06 -0400
Hi all,

I just saw this email on the blind bargains podcast 155 page, I will
quote it here, then some comments after.

"Hi! I'm Marcos Miranda, a US citizen in the Philippines. I'm completely
blind since April 2018, a month before my 48th birthday. The eye doctor
here in the Philippines claims I've Diabetic Retinopathy and says I need
$3,500 (equivalent from Philippine Pesos) for surgery on my right eye as
my left eye is dead. I disagreed with the doctor because I know my
blindness was caused by long-term clinical stress from psychological
torture beyond my control. Since mid-June, I'm taking herbal medicine
and my vision is slowly returning in both of my eyes. If you would like
to know more, please feel free to ask me.
Prior to becoming completely blind in April 2018, I've completed 35
years of computer science. On July 21, 2018, I ended working the Linux
operating system after 21 years.
What frustrates me at being blind, is the fact that I know how all this
assistive technology is built and I can't use any of my knowledge for my
benefit! For example, I had been doing speech synthesis projects since
1986 and artificial intelligence projects since 1988.
Prior to moving to the Philippines, I was born in Massachusetts and grew
up in Seattle. I've been SSA disabled since 2003 and awaiting "upgrade"
due to doctor's certificate of my blindness.
I am strictly an Android user. I'm typing this message on a Bluetooth
keyboard linked to my LG phone. I listen to your podcasts using TuneIn
Radio Pro that I purchased almost 5 years ago.
Is Blind Bargains focused on wealthy blind people? I can't afford any
Apple devices and most of the products you talk about are technology I
will never experience in my lifetime. If I still had vision, I could
build the stuff I cannot afford! Most of your podcasts are mostly
iOS-centric, making me feel depressed because I only have Android.
For me to stay positive as a completely blind computer geek, I am
actively posting into my Twitter account as @FilAmScientist. Due to
change of focus, on August 21st, I deleted my tweets, changed my name &
bio. I have zero moral support.
Thank you for reading my message. Other than my wife, I have zero moral
& financial support! I wish I had money to buy the Braille tech you talk
about, but like I said, it'll never happen in my lifetime. It's hard to
be happy after complete loss of vision. Thanks for reading my mail.
Sincerely,
Marcos Miranda"

This man thinks he cannot use Linux any more, but ou certainly can,
blind people are doing it. I'm not a Linux user, but they're out there,
and if any of you, use Linux, or, can get ahold of Linux users, let's
help Marcos, to keep using Linux, with a screen reader. I have no way to
contact blind bargains, (looked on their page, and no email address. But
if any of you know how to contact them, let's get Marcos's email address
and Linux users can contact Marcos, and tell him, yes, blind people can
and are using, Linux!

I deeply feel this man's pain, and I want to help him, and by posting
this, hopefully, someone can help him.

Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]