VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Albert Ruel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Albert Ruel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:05:00 -0700
Hi Rachel.  Here is what a colleague sent me when I was attempting to do the
same thing.  I think it comes from the GMail web sight.  At any rate, I used
it and it worked for me.  There is however the need to go through one of
those "type what you see or hear" thingies.

All the best.

Outlook Express Configuration Instructions:
list of 15 items nesting level 1
1. Enable POP in Gmail
. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
2. Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
3. Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts...
4. Click Add, and then click Mail...
Add mail account
5. Enter your name in the Display name: field, and click Next.
6. Enter your full Gmail email address ([log in to unmask]) in the Email
address: field, and click Next.
Enter username
7. Enter pop.gmail.com in the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:
field. Enter smtp.gmail.com in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: field.
Enter server names
8. Click Next.
9. Enter your Gmail username (including [log in to unmask]) in the Account name:
field. Enter your Gmail password in the Password: field, and click Next.
Enter account name and password
10. Click Finish.
11. Highlight pop.gmail.com under Account, and click Properties.
Highlight account
12. Click the Advanced tab.
13. Fill in the following information:*
list of 4 items nesting level 2
. Check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) under
Outgoing Mail (SMTP).
. Enter 465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
. Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires a
secure connection (SSL).
. Under Incoming mail (POP3), check the box next to This server requires a
secure connection (SSL). The port will change to 995.
Highlight account
list end nesting level 2
*The order of Outgoing and Incoming mail server fields varies by version.
Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.

14. Return to the Servers tab, and check the box next to My server requires
authentication.
Highlight account
15. Click OK.
list end nesting level 1