VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:19:12 -0500
---- Original Message ------
From: "@ Freedom Scientific News"
Subject: Freedom Scientific Reduces PAC Mate Price - and Releases
FREE 6.5Update
Date sent: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:17:55 -0400 (EDT)

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=d4w8zxbab&v=00
1TJF9TTZcRzU68VLk7WcPxnc8xV5z9g7_YuAWlcgvvjqHlWNTSUB9nsAuJ5vGwrHS
dOyotiQFYN2OYV_BMb6SYI-BXXJGSOdHY4JLdyzpbJGJd47BdPCMkA%3D%3D
Greetings!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact: Brad Davis
800-444-4443 or 727-803-8000
www.FreedomScientific.com
Sales: [log in to unmask]

The World’s Most Powerful Notetaker Just Got More Affordable

Freedom Scientific Reduces PAC Mate Price and Releases FREE 6.5
Update

(St.  Petersburg, Florida – September 30, 2010) – Freedom
Scientific today announced a $900 price reduction on its PAC Mate
Omni accessible Pocket PCs while releasing a FREE firmware update
for existing users.

The new prices are:

PAC Mate Omni Speech Only — $1,495 reduced from $2,395

PAC Mate Omni with 20 cells of Braille — $2,895 reduced from
$3,795

PAC Mate Omni with 40 cells of Braille — $4,695 reduced from
$5,595

Already an industry leader in accessible mobile functionality for
the blind, the PAC Mate Omni is now the clear leader in
affordability, offering 40 cells of Braille for about 25 percent
less than what competitors charge for a notetaker with just 32
cells.

“While other manufacturers are raising prices, Freedom Scientific
is making assistive technology more widely available by passing
savings in our manufacturing processes onto our customers,” says
Jonathan Mosen, Freedom Scientific’s Vice President of Blindness
Hardware Product Management.

“This is our third major price reduction this year.  We reduced
our Focus 40 Blue Braille Displays by 38 percent in March, and we
lowered the price of our MAGic Screen Magnification Software by
$100 in June.”

This price reduction coincides with the posting of the 6.5
release for English language users that expands the PAC Mate
Omni’s capabilities with an array of new features:

RealSpeak Voices
Since Freedom Scientific introduced the RealSpeak voices in JAW,
MAGic, and OpenBook, many customers have enjoyed the more natural
sound, particularly for reading lengthy texts.  Many have asked
for these voices with the PAC Mate Omni.  With Release 6.5, you
can easily switch between Eloquence and RealSpeak synthesized
speech with a simple command from anywhere on the PAC Mate Omni.

RealSpeak is available in many languages, further heightening the
PAC Mate Omni’s appeal among those who work with multiple
languages.

Expanded settings dialogs in the PAC Mate Omni 6.5 provide
thorough, independent control over primary and secondary voices
and Braille languages.

Unified Instant Messaging with Mundu® IM
The PAC Mate Omni continues to offer free Windows Live Messenger
support out of the box.  With the 6.5 release, we’ve added
support for Mundu IM, a unified instant messaging solution
supporting a number of services including MSN, Yahoo, ICQ,  AIM,
Google, and Jabber.  Chat with your buddies in real time, no
matter what the service.  The PAC Mate Omni with Mundu IM gives
the deaf blind access to the many relay services that interface
with AOL, and instant messaging is available in contracted
Braille, letting messages fly back and forth even faster.  Mundu
IM is available for purchase separately.

Built-in FSReader DAISY Player
Freedom Scientific's FSReader software opens a world of
accessible reading material for the visually impaired.  Used with
Digital Accessible Information System (DAISY)-formatted talking
books, FSReader delivers a host of powerful navigation tools for
reading:

Go directly to a specific chapter, heading, or page
Set an unlimited number of annotated bookmarks
Speed up or slow down speech whether listening to a recorded
narrator or synthesized speech
Download or purchase on CD DAISY 2.0 and DAISY 3.0 e-books (the
ANSI/NISO standard) like those available from www.Bookshare.org,
and browse, read, and study.  Play AudioPlus books from Recording
for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFB&D).

There are numerous other enhancements and performance
improvements in the PAC Mate 6.5.  Coupled with the powerful
Microsoft Office support, e-mail options, and other applications
already in the PAC Mate, the 6.5 release continues to broaden the
range of tasks one can accomplish on the go with this
multi-faceted device.

Release 6.5 is available as a free download from the Freedom
Scientific Web site at
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/pacmate/pacmate-omni65
-update-dl.asp.

To learn more about accessing the many capabilities of the PAC
Mate Omni, register for our free Webinar on October 5, 2010 ast
http://www.freedomscientific.com/Training/e-LearningEntrance.asp.
Or check out the DAISY books at the PAC Mate training downloads
page at
http://www.freedomscientific.com/Training/PACMate-training-hq.asp

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]