VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 09:07:54 -0700
Hi All,

I posted my question about the Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard to
another list. I'm posting the answer here for the benefit of anyone
searching the archives.

First of all, this is a Blue Tooth keyboard that folds in half. Folded,
it's about 5x5 inches square and half an inch thick. It looks like two
pieces of cardboard covered in plastic so as to resemble one of those
picture frames that close like a book but usually sit on a nightstand.
It's compatible with Windows, Android, and iOS.

It's got the regular typing keys with a number row. The FN key is to the
left of the space bar, with the alt key to the left of it. You hold down
FN with the numbers for the function keys.

Above the number row is a set of media buttons. I haven't explored them
all, but for our purposes, the important ones are the first six,
starting from the left edge: escape, Device 1, Device 2, Mute, Volume
Down, and Volume Up.

To pair the keyboard to your smart phone, hold down the Device 1 button
for about 5 seconds, and do whatever you do to make your smart phone
scan for devices. When your phone finds the keyboard, tap to start the
pairing process. Then on the keyboard, type the six-digit pairing code
that appears on your phone's screen. This takes multiple attempts
because the pairing code times out and changes with each attempt. Press
enter on the keyboard after you finish entering the numbers, and you're
done.

To pair another device (e.g., your tablet, computer, or other smart
phone), hold down the Device 2 button on the keyboard, and follow the
same procedure.

If you're trying to pair with Windows, Windows lets you enter your own
pairing code both on the computer and on the keyboard after so many
failed attempts. On Android and (I'm told) on iOS, you need to keep
trying until you get the right code in.

The keyboard itself turns on when you open it, and it remembers the last
device you used, so if you last used your Android, you just open and
start typing. If you want to use the other paired device, briefly press
the button you used for pairing. For me, android is Device 1 and Windows
is Device 2.

The last button on that top row of keys is the OS button. You can use it
to cycle through keyboard layouts: Android, iOS, and Windows. I haven't
played with it enough to know what order they're in.

Hope this helps.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]