VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:49:29 -0600
Section 255 is not enforced unless people file complaints.  Have you
requested from the major cell phone companies this software installed on
a phone that they will provide at no additional charge?  If so and they
refused, have you filed complaints against each of the cell phone
companies for its failure to provide access when clearly a solution is
available that they could pay for and deploy that provides access and
complies with the regulation?  If not, why not?  If you want
accountability with an accessibility regulation, this is the primary
means to accomplish such.

Unfortunately, Section 255 does not allow one to sue so a federal court
can decide if the company is ignoring the regulation and then order
remedies to provide access.  One can only complain to the FCC, who may do
what they want with the complaint.

Kelly