VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin Tibor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Tibor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:45:24 -0800
A little more information on IE5. Here is the location for beta scripts that
support Jaws for Windows.

Scripts that will allow JAWS for Windows 3.02.31 to work with the newly
released Internet Explorer 5 have just been posted to the beta scripts
portion of the web site. You may find them on the web at
http://www.hj.com/JFW/Scripts/JFWBetaScripts.html

or on the ftp site at
ftp://ftp.hj.com/jfwdist/jfw3.2/scripts/BetaScript/ie5scripts.exe

They offer no new functionality on the web, but do work with the newest release

of I.E.. Pending further testing, they will not be supported by HJ technical
support. They will be a part of JFW 3.3 when it is released.

clip:

At 10:00 AM 3/25/99 -0800, Kelly Ford wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'll give credit when credit is due and I've noticed a couple things in my
>week of exploring IE 5 that I like a great deal about the way it interacts
>with the keyboard.  These discoveries don't pertain to turning on a MSAA
>(Microsoft Active Accessibility) mode for screen readers for those that
>support it.  As near as I can tell they are independent of any particular
>screen reader and work whether a screen reader is running or not.
>
>First, earlier versions of IE had what I considered a problem when using
>the Tab and Enter keys to move to and follow links.  More particularly, the
>problem occured when you returned from following a link.  In the past when
>you returned from one of your explorations the focus of the tab key was
>automatically returned to the top of the web page.  This situation has been
>improved.  Now your tab focus is returned to the link you were on when you
>left the page.  The new method of handling the Tab key focus also improves
>navigation of documents with internal links as things track correctly.
>
>Second, if you click the mouse or your screen reader equivalent on
>non-linked text of a web page, the tab key focus jumps to the closest link
>to that mouse click the first time you press Tab.  In the past you would
>have started with the first link on the page.
>
>Imagine that you have a web page that reads as follows, with each name of a
>city taking you to more details.

Marty Tibor
1 Stop Speech Recognition and Adaptive Technology Synapse
3095 Kerner Blvd., Suite S, San Rafael, CA  94901
toll-free 888-285-9988
http://www.synapseadaptive.com
Providers of adaptive and assistive technology solutions.
http://www.unixspeech.com
UNIX, mainframe and Mac speech recognition
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/default.htm
Synapse hosts the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Unofficial Information Pages