VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:41:29 -0500
Dear Severine and Listers,
This EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) course is worth every penny!  Dr. Coombs is a tremendous resource to us all!  Here's the description of the course, and the details on registration are on the EASI web site.  The URL is included in the description:

Bridging the digital divide and leveling the playing field is the topic of a
four-week online workshop, Barrier-free Information Technology starting
Monday, November 27.
Schools, colleges and businesses are using computers in almost everything
they do.  For students and professionals with disabilities, this is a
two-edged sword.  Poorly designed systems can create new barriers to their
participation in society, but good universal design can empower them to
participate as equals.
EASI: Equal Access to Software and Information has delivers online workshops
to provide institutions with what they need to know to create an open,
accessible information technology system and has already delivered this
material to some 4,000 people in more than 3 dozen countries.  Delivered
entirely online using e-mail, web pages and a discussion board, participants
can both work independently at their own pace and also participate in group
discussions with colleagues while simultaneously having contact with 2
experienced instructors always available for personal feedback and guidance.
Now is the best time to start planning to make your institution fully
accessible to students and professionals with disabilities.  The longer you
postpone making important design choices, the more it will require expensive
patching up a system.  Building it right from the ground up works better and
costs less.  Three continuing education units are available from the
Rochester Institute of Technology for successful completion of the workshop.
For registration fees and an online registration form, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/workshop.htm
<http://www.rit.edu/~easi/workshop.htm>  and select the link for
Barrier-free Information Technology.
A full syllabus is available at the above url, but here are the major topics
to be covered:
Lesson 1: Introductions and definitions:
What will I learn by the end of this workshop?
Lesson 2: Reasons to Adapt Your Information and Computer Systems What are
the benefits for me and for others?
Lesson 3: Computer input problems and solutions
How do people with disabilities input information into a computer?
Lesson 4:  Computer output problems and solutions
How do people with disabilities get information out of a computer?
Lesson 5: Compensatory Strategies and Disability Etiquette Other ways to
"skin a cat" with a computer.
Lesson 6:  Access to print information
Digitizing print to make it accessible via a computer.
Lesson 7:  Access to physical facilities and staff training Technology
requires human support to be fully successful.
Lesson 8: Planning for an Accessible Campus or Institution
        How do I get from here to there?
Beginning Monday, November 27 and running for four weeks.
Norman Coombs
CEO of EASI Inc.

>>> Séverine Renard <[log in to unmask]> 11/16/00 01:21PM >>>
Hi listers,
        We are updating our website at work. That means making it pretty and full
of graphs and frames. It is going to be created using Dream Weaver. I would
like that we have an equivalent site that would be text only versions of
all the pages. There would be a button on the homepage that would say "With
graphics" - "Text only" and if the people choose text only, they would have
access to the same information as on each of the normal pages.
        How can I do that? Where can I find information about it?
        Thanks for your advice,

                        Sincerely,
                        Severine Renard