VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:05:34 -0400
Hi Francis

I expect the main reason is something to do with intellectual property
issues.

The archives of this list contain a number of entries about the Kindle
and the Authors Guild. I am typing what I remember because I do not
have time to go look and see what is most current. The Authors' Guild
in the US considers audio rights, whether human or text-to-speech to be
separate from print. Some authors grant rights for TTS reproduction;
some do not. I generally support authors getting the best deal they can
and authors tell me there are several reasons dealing with Amazon is
hard no matter how much they care about accessibility.

I am not very familiar with the provisions of US copyright law that
allow reproeduction through specific pathways in the name of access for
the visually impaired. but I expect that copyright framework is
different in the UK as well.

Perhaps this is a helpful place to start. I agree that this sort of
barrier is a big nuisance.

Best

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA
(the navel of the Amazon universe in case I ever get tempted to go
apply for a job.)