VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:51:20 -0500
I'm forwarding the following for a friend.  Please write to David
directly at [log in to unmask] if you can help.
Thanks.
Rachel
Hi.  I am having a rather frustrating problem with a computer
running
Windows 98 First Edition not being able to go online.  Here are
what I hope
are all of the relevant details.
My wife and I each own a computer purchased from Micron, now MPC.
Both
machines are running Windows 98 First Edition and I have kept
them both in
pretty good working order.  Both are running Avast Antivirus Home
Edition.
Both are connected to Verizon DSL via a Westell 2200 modem and a
Linksys
router, both purchased from Verizon.  Her machine is the one
connected with
the modem and the router via a USB cable, and mine is just
connected, via
USB, to the router.

As you know, Windows 98 is a bit hard to configure with USB thumb
drives,
but my wife had a need to use one on her machine.  I actually
found a USB
flash drive driver file which claimed to work on 98 First
Edition.  I
installed it on my wife's PC and it actually worked.  It was able
to see the
thumb drive and we could access its files.  We were both rather
excited at
this but our celebration was short-lived when my wife told me she
couldn't
go online.  Eventually I discovered that her Device Manager
showed an item
which my Device Manager did not show.  Her Device Manager showed
a category
called "other devices" and in this category is something called a
PCI Serial
Controller which claims to be uninstalled.  However, I was unable
to find
appropriate drivers on both my Windows disk and my Micron disk.
My machine,
on which I did not install these drivers, is working fine and can
go online.
Of course, I attempted to uninstall these drivers and it appears
that I did
so successfully but with no positive results.  I don't have the
original
Verizon installation CD.  If anyone has a clue as to what I did
and to what
I can do to fix this I will be very grateful, as will my wife.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]