VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dwight Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 04:39:03 PDT

Dear Bob W.,

You say;

"I do experience the hair raising field, as I have many hundred times while
making measurements in my job."

Sir, I did not wish to make the education of scientists in the realities of
real world actions of electric fields, my job for the foreseeable future.
However I would remind you that a electric field that is slowly discharged
by exposure to a Relatively flat, large surface. (Your hand, my forehead,)
Which is held at a point far enough from the nexus of such a field, to allow
a slow drain of electrons, spread out over a Relatively large surface, does
not usually discharge in Spark/Bolt fashion.

Also a Relatively small point will cause a non "Bolt" type of drain
also.(Such as a "lightning Rod")  A surface that is some what more limited
in area, Relative to the charge, than the "large," discharge receptor, such
as a van de Graf generator uses, will  cause a more dramatic type of
discharge. As does the tip of my nose when it is almost touching the screen.
You also say,

"The fact that you can induce a small charge that will make your hairs stand
on end, only means that there is an electric field near your hairs."

That is correct, But ALL electric fields once in existence may be
discharged, either slowly by electron seepage, or quickly by so called
Bolts/Sparks of electric current. Anyone Familiar with a static "Spark" has
experienced this. Now, are you going to deny this very basic law, as the
Tobacco scientists, denied the damage, and addiction of Cigarettes.

Is your dependance on the CRT industry so great that you would, as did those
now discredited "Tobacco scientists,"perjure yourselves to make your thirty
pieces of silver? There is when scientists, who work for, and are paid by a
industry, a strong suspicion of Conflict of interest. I on the other hand am
Not employed by anyone, I have no stake in this, other then a interest in
truth.

Dwight

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:49:28 -0400 (EDT), Scranton Computer wrote:

> The fact that you can induce a small charge that will make your hairs
> stand on end, only means that there is an electric field near your hairs.
> There is no discharge from this field, nor is there a discharge from the
> glass of the picture tube.  This is a fact.  Some idea that the field
over
> time does something to the skin, is also in error, this also is fact.  If
> you have a monitor that is arcing high voltage to your nose, it is
> defective, although if this was the case, you would not be able to
> repeatlly stick your nose into this arc.  it would be too painful to
> endure.  Why do you not believe that you can have an ulcer without the
non
> scientific explaination abut the field and your skin.  I have tried your
> experiment of holding my hand within less than an inch of my monitor
> screeen.  I do experience the hair raising field, as I have many hundred
> times while making measurements in my job.  We have people who place high
> power magnifiers on the screen to measure electron beam placement and
> focus for 8 hours a day.  None have ever reported a discharge, and I
> myself have not experienced such, even though you claim that I should.
Be