VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
FERNANDO BOTELHO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:51:02 -0400
Lets make a distinction here to be fair.  Just because the AFB is or is
not good at selling cutting boards, that does not change the wonderful
work they do in research and advocacy.

Not every organization should be dedicated to helping you safely cut
cheeze.

Fernando

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Jody Ianuzzi wrote:

> Kelly Pierce
>
> This is just my opinion but I agree with your comments about AFB.  I have
> been blind my whole life and have known of the AFB for most of that time.
> It has been my experience that AFB is one of the left over custodial,
> condescending 'we know what is best for you blind people' organizations I
> have ever run in to.
>
> It is my experience that they consider themselves the 'experts' and we
> blind the lucky receivers of their charity.  The AFB products are expensive
> compared to the other suppliers of products for the blind--but they were
> the first.  The AFB 'experts' designed a low vision cutting board that is
> black on one side and white on the other so you can use the side that
> contrasts with what you are cutting.  The price for this cutting board was
> $35.  I can buy the same size board in white at K-Mart for $5. Give me a
> break.  I don't know anyone who uses these products designed by sighted
> experts for their blind users.  The prices are high, the shipping is
> expensive and the wait time is way too long.  I avoid the AFB and just
> order from places where the price is right and the service fast.
>
> Other suppliers like LS&S, Independent Living Aids and others seem to want
> to make their customers happy. The NFB Aids and Appliances  center is a
> great resource because they have actually used the products they sell and
> they sell them at the best price.  I have received materials from them in
> days rather then weeks from AFB.
>
> All this is just an opinion based on my own experience.  I am sending this
> post so you won't feel you are alone in your comments about the AFB. If we
> are CONSUMERS then we have a right to discuss who we buy our products from.
>

> JODY
>
> "WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WISH TO
> SEE IN THE WORLD" --Ghandi

  Check the VICUG-L list archives and subscribe!
     http://trfn.clpgh.org/vipace/vicug/subscribe.html