VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 22:00:50 -0400
Ana, check around through the library association at your library to see
what other libraries may already have that you might be able to use. You
might also be able to find similar associations through the schools and
universities. My town's public library switched to Linux for it's
background services right on through to the user's stations in the
library. I presented a version of Linux that's fully accessible to the
director a few years ago and that got her interest, then with the
expiration of XP coming on, they began really investigating Linux early
last summer and made their switch in early March this year. So far the
only trouble they had was at the service desk and the business office
with getting used to the different programs and menus. After the first
week, they had it worked out just fine. The people using the stations in
the library haven't had any issues at all.
We didn't have too much trouble tracking down some experiences and
advice from other libraries that have made the switch to Linux. It's
much more common than most people would imagine. Google services work
well with Linux, after all Google uses it's own doctored up Ubuntu
Linux, called Goobuntu, on it's development work stations and on nearly
half of it's business work stations.

--

No Microsoft garbage used here, sent by a very satisfied Linux-Mint
<http://www.linuxmint.com/> user (a former disgruntled Microsoft user).

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]