THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Holly Jagger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:01:06 -0500
List members,
Susan wrote:

"Another suggestion would be to stick with the Armour and take your 2nd dose
later in the day.  I usually take my second dose of Armour at 4:30 in the
afternoon.  You could even take it at 7:30pm, but if you're used to taking
it with meals, then I would continue to do that.  For me, it has never
caused insomnia even when I've taken it in the evening."

That is what I am considering, just want to run it by endo first due to my
Addison's too.  presently I take one half my dose at 7:30 AM, and second
half at 12:30 PM.  I am considering keeping morning dose constant, but
splitting the second dose, and taking half at 12:30 PM and half at 6:00 PM
with my steroid dose.  I will not go adrenally insufficient if I do this,
since I take 2.5 mg. Cortef also at the 6 PM time.

"You're on a pretty low total dose of ARmour - how long have you been on
that dose?  What dose of time release does your endo recommend and do you
know if your reverse t3 levels are high?  That is a major reason for people
switching to time release."

I have to discuss this with my endo, will ask him about reverse T3.  so far
as I know, we have not actually addressed it.  I take steroids for addison's
replacement, and this he says is the reason I have decreased conversion of
T4-->T3.  (does that mean more is converted to Reverse T3?  If so, then that
IS the problem!)

And since I was doing fine with regular Armour, maybe I just need to adjust
the timing of the second dose a bit?  Hopefully...

Thank you for your input!

Best,
Holly