THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:10:10 -0700
Well it has happened again (why am I not surprised).  My lithium took my tsh
from 2.5 (where I felt like I was hardly living after being .2 for so long)
8.9.  That number got the Endocrinologist and her nurse that prescribed
bedroom furniture for me (armoir) to raise my armour from 3 to 3 1/4 grains.
After almost 4 months my TSH was down to 4.8.  They feel that is more than
adequate.  Makes you just want to give up.  I am sure it does not help that
the reference normal range at this stupid lab is .45 to 4.5 instead of .25
to 2.5.  Not to mention the fact that the nurse flat out told me that if I
would switch to synthroid or levoxyl from Armour then she might treat me
lower in the range that she does not know anything about armour and hates
when her patients insist on armour.  When I was on a synthetic t3/t4 combo
my cholesterol raised from below normal to medicine treatable range and my
liver enzymes went through the roof and I was in and out of hospitals with
upper gi and chest pain not to mention the fact that anything I ate caused
an alergic reaction.

What am I to do? Right now other than hoping that I can talk the
psychiatrist into writing a higher prescription of armour I dont know what
to do.  Also not to mention that I have gained 100 pounds in less than a
year that this has been going on.  Now I am more than obese now I cant even
weigh on my scale anymore.  Feel so lousy it is hard to even contemplate
trying the diet I was so successful on before.  I remember reading somewhere
(not sure if it was the archives here or not) that someone my size with
other hormone issues (pregnancy screwed up my estrogen and progesterone
levels 13 years ago) may need 5 or 6 grains add the lithium and well.....

Any ideas -- oh and I lost my health insurance so I am on my own on that
front.

Nancy