THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:09 -0400
My daughter was treated with radioactive idodine to treat her Graves
disease.  She had the treatment about 4 weeks ago.  She is suffering from
extreme depression and mood swings now. She won't leave her room, cries all
the time. It is really beginning to scare me. She says she doesn't care about
anything or anyone.  She will be 21 next week. She had always been the most
cheerful, happy, active girl. She was going to college and going on dates. Now
she's saying things like "nothing matters, I don't care if I live or die"  Is this a
normal reaction to her thyroid slowing down??

I had treatment for Graves disease in my 20's, and so did my mother, but
neither of us reacted like this.  She's really scaring me!!

I will say that her Graves disease has been much more severe than mine or my
mother's ever was.

Can this severe depression be a result of the thyroid slowing down? I'm calling
her doctor tomorrow, but would appreciate any input you could give me.

Cindy