THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Holly Jagger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:36:40 -0400
You wrote:
"And, yes, many of those people do have some degree of Adrenal Fatigue. (The
best book on that is by the other Wilson: "Adrenal Fatigue-The 21rst Century
Stress Syndrome").

Neither Wilson's (thyroid) Syndrome nor Adrenal Fatigue are even alluded to
in Medical training-So, you are only likely to get treated by a practitioner
who  is somewhat Alternative.

I hope this helps."

Yes, it does help, thanks for the explanation of Wilson's!  And of course,
my diagnosis is not fatigue but failure.  Thyroid was pretty stable for
another 9-10 years after adrenals failed, but finally affected.  (no thyroid
antibodies are showing up yet, but I do now test positive for Sjogren's
antibodies, and I understand these can infiltrate the thyroid...?)

In my quest to balance my adrenal insufficiency and mild hypothyroidism, I
am actually finding myself very glad to have most of my thyroid still
working!  I have Zero cortisol, Zero mineralocorticoid, and Zero DHEA
production, Addison's Disease due to autoimmune attack on steroid cells.
(ovaries were attacked first, 10 years before)

After 4-5 years of various thyroid replacements, Armour is working best for
me, at this point.

The main issue with this Schmidt's Syndrome (Polyglandular syndrome type II)
is that I am highly sensitive to thyroid levels.  A bit high, and I go into
adrenal crisis--not on the cortisol pathway (nausea/vomiting symptoms), but
on the mineralocorticoid pathway (pulse racing, bp drops til adrenaline
kicks in)!  It is a very strange thing.  I am considering that low thyroid
binding globulin might be a factor in my sensitivity to highs and lows.

Here's a for-instance-- I was told to begin one baby aspirin daily, due to
anticardiolipin antibodies beginning to be positive.  Never was told
anything to watch for, never warned by my wonderful endo, or my super gp, or
my excellent rheumatologist.  Three great docs, and not one said, watch it,
aspirin can cause you to go hyperthyroid.

What happens??  After about 4th day, I find I am going into adrenal crisis
with cortisol.  Nausea, ugh.  Got more cortef in me and was better quite
quickly.  Did not attribute it to the aspirin, yet.  Then, 10 days later, I
find my heart at 116 and rising, bp dropping, unbelievable.  Extra Cortef
did not correct it.  I finally raced to the kitchen and downed a handful of
table salt and a large glass of water.  Pulse back down to 85 within 15
minutes!

Endo told me later, the fact that salt corrected heart rate, points to too
low florinef rather than cortef.  He verified what I had surmised.  Then I
asked him about the aspirin.  Having looked it up online, I had already
found out that aspirin binds to the thyroid receptors with great affinity,
and causes increased thyroid levels to be freed up in body.  Endo said, yes
it could cause an increase in thyroid levels.  And since thyroid = metabolic
rate, my florinef was being used up too quickly, too-- it just took a week
before I got into trouble with it!

Does anyone know if low TBG and SHBG and CBG could be the cause of
sensitivity to these highs and lows?  I don't know what causes binding
globulins to be low, endo says, could be because of the steroids I take.
But I only take replacement level, 22 to 25 mg. a day of Cortef.  Plus
florinef & dhea.  ??

Thanks for everyone's input, it can be extremely frustrating to manage these
two conditions.

Best regards,
Holly
PS-- I really would like an update on Skipper Beers.  I hope he is still
with us! thanks