THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:47:01 -0400

Is this group active? I haven't been getting any posts.

I have been hypothyroid since the radio-iodine treatment of my Graves Disease 22 years ago. The myth of the "one little pill a day" for the rest of your life is such a euphemism. I don't understand why, if according to the surgeon who removed one of my parathyroid glands, I essentially have no thyroid gland left, why the doctors can not stabilize me with thyroid replacement.

In January my TSH was 24.6, which the doctor did not feel like he needed to notify me about, simply noting in the chart that I must not be compliant with my medication, and to re-check me in 3 months.

I missed my 3 month check-up, as my husband had recently died of colon cancer/cirrhosis.

I went back 2 weeks ago to be re-checked because my hair is falling out, exhausted all the time, no memory, can't concentrate...an avid reader I don't think I have read one book this year, and almost quit and almost got fired from my job for missing deadlines, being late, etc.

This last time my TSH was 18 and he increased my levothyroxine from .75 mcg to 1mcg.

After a week I felt some better, but now think I feel worse, like I had never increased my dosage.

Is that common as your body adjusts to the new dosage?

I had been on Armour thyroid, but when I started seeing this doctor he switched me to Synthroid.

But if the bottle doesn't SAY, Synthroid, isn't it a generic? I have been old in the past to never take generic Synthroid because of variations in batch consistencies.

I want to tell this doctor that he has ruined my life, which is how much this hypothyroidism had affected me this time.

 I have NEVER had a doctor not notify me with a TSH that far off.

What experiences have you had with these concerns?

Mary

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!