THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:03:37 -0800
Skipper quoted Dr. Durrant-Peatfield:

>Failure of hormone to reach the tissues results from:
>1.       Receptor resistance, or failure
>2.       Dysfunction of T4-T3 conversion
>3.       Adrenal insufficiency

I've been thinking about #2 above alot, as it's clear I do have some
conversion problems.  It occurs to me that if one has the conversion
problem, i.e., a problem with the de-iodination process,  that one would
also have a problem with the T3 to T2 and T2 to T1 conversion
processes.  I'm assuming that there is a T3 to T2 to T1 deiodination
process, though in lesser quantity and importance.  Perhaps one of the more
scientifically trained members will come back with either confirmation or
correction?

*If* my assumptions are true, or at least close, then it makes perfect
sense that those of us with conversion problems tend to do better with
Armour than with synthetic T4, even with added synthetic T3.  The Armour
contains all of the thyroid ingredients.   And we don't really know the
importance of those other ingredients.  But this would seem to add weight
to the fact that some of us do better with Armour and may be more
ammunition for me to use with my Armour-phobic, but otherwise great, Internist.

Thoughts?

- Kevran (Hashis HypO)