THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Witzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:28:03 EDT

Hi Group,

I wanted to add to Doc Don's comments about Adrenal Fatigue. I was  diagnosed
with this condition about 2 years ago. I bought a copy of Dr. James  Wilson's
Book, Adrenal Fatigue, the 21st Century Stress Syndrome. Dr. Wilson  also has
a website. I have tried to change my lifestyle and eating habits  according
to Dr. Wilson's recommendations. I see a naturopath who also  treats Wilson's
syndrome and have been on timed released T-3 for a couple years  now. I have
several food allergies and have managed to avoid eating many of the  trigger
foods which also contribute to the adrenals being run down. I take  supplements
available thru Dr. Wilson's site, his Adrenal Rebuilder formula is  pork based,
the supplements my ND prescribed where bovine which I am allergic  to. This
condition can take 6 months to 2 years or more to correct, I found this  pretty
depressing at first but I am doing better and still working toward the  goal
of recovery. I found it difficult to avoid sugar since I am not diabetic  but
I now try to eat as if I was. Until I was willing to make drastic changes in
my eating which was basically healthy, things did not improve. I also include
protein 3-5 times a day and eat small meals which also keeps blood sugar in
balance. I don't drink any regular or diet pop and fortunately I never  liked
coffee. Any food or drink that is a stimulant needs to be  avoided. The food
allergy test consisted of eating 96 different foods in one  week and then
submitting blood samples. Since it measures immediate and delayed  response I found
it to be invaluable in knowing which foods to avoid.

I had a saliva test for cortisol which required samples 4 times a day.  My
cortisol was bottomed out in the am, reached normal at 5:00 pm and was  elevated
at 11:00 pm.   I suspect that low cortisol contributes to my  fibromyalgia
which has improved since I started this program. I also use natural
progesterone creme which breaks down into cortisol. I quit using it for several  months
and my fibromyalgia became worse.

I still have night owl tendencies, I take a supplement called SleepMD that
helps. My ND recently recommended taking Seriphos for my adrenals which I plan
to just take at bedtime. I treated my thyroid condition for many years as if
it  was the only thing creating health issues, I am fortunate to have a Dr.
that was  patient and continued to work with me do find underlying issues that
also needed  to be addressed such as the food allergies, stress, diet, adrenal
function, etc.  I have had to minimize contact with family. friends and
neighbors that  contribute to my stress issues and instead build on the positive
relationships  that I have with others thru church, etc.

Wishing you all the best in your journey to recovery,

Colleen Witzel

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!