THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 00:37:34 EST
In a message dated 1/7/2007 8:35:57 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I am  concerned not only with the obscene tsh level but also the drastic
increase in meds.  Has anyone experienced this?  Is anyone aware  of a list
dedicated to these particular issues?

Needless to say, I  am a mess.  Any and all comments are welcome.

Sharon   >>>>>
Some things are clear:

1. TSH is NOT your problem. Your Health and Well Being are your problems.
You can have any TSH known, and it may have nothing to do with your state  of
health. And, getting a good coordination of your hormones requires much more
that getting the "right" numbers on a lab slip. You need a good physician.

2. You have yet to be given a complete assessment of your current  Thyroid,
Hormonal, or general health status. This requires a Diagnosis; and a  Diagnosis
requires that your Health Care Provider take the time and thought  needed to
get a good History, do the appropriate exam,  and  formulate a good Diagnostic
Impression that the two of you can systematically  investigate.

3. In reading Elizabeth Vliet, MD's book, "Screaming to Be Heard:  Hormonal
Connections Women Suspect...And Doctors Ignore," it became painfully  obvious
to me that too many doctors ignore their patients in general, but  their female
patients in particular. There is a lot of information that could  make life
for Perimenopausal woman healthier and happier, but it is neither  being taught
in Med Schools nor learned by the majority  of physicians.  The most dominant
influence in Medical Practice  today is the Pharmaceutical Industry. I cringe
to recall how many times, many  years ago, I had prescribed  an
antidepressant or tranquilizer for a woman  without knowing exactly what her Thyroid and
Hormones were doing. Yet, this is  pretty much standard practice, today; but it
is not good care.

I learned, many years ago; attempting to deal with Thyroid problems, in  a
woman
without addressing her hormonal issues, never gives the best  possible
results. Doing assorted blood tests and changing your treatment  without a Diagnosis
is not likely to be helpful, either.

Your thyroid status and hormonal balance are  both critical to the quality
and duration of your life. Take  a look at Dr. Vliet's book. If you doctor is
educable,  bring  information in. If you doc is not willing to work with you,
find one who will.

A prayer that you get what you need to get well,

Doc Don (AKA, D. Michael, MD)

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=thyroid&A=1>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]