THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:57:50 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:02:25 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Here's  the rub: there was a death in my immediate family in mid-September,
and I'm  wondering if this complicates the metabolic picture. If I was taking
any  thryoxine at all, I'd have assumed that under deep stress, the Thyroxine
would  convert to reverse T3, and I would start getting the symptoms of
inadequate  replacement. But as if I've just been on SRT3, well . . . I don't know. A
 weight gain of 5 pounds over the last month seems intractable.

Any  thoughts, anyone?  >>>>
Sorry to hear about the loss.

You seem to have bumped into the same ghost that I have seen over the  years.
Most recent case was a woman who had Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome and who
responded especially well to SRT3 (sustained release T3) replacement. She lost
over 100 pounds, was energetic, and was doing well. When I told husband  that he
owed me BIG, he smiled and knew exactly what I meant.

Unfortunately, while the excess weight disappeared; the excess skin did  not.
She opted for breast reduction surgery that was complicated by  a painful and
slow to heal wound infection. After battling that for several  weeks, she
started to regain the weight and the resultant hypothyroid picture  was difficult
to manage. She dropped out of treatment for a while, but came back  recently.
We have not yet been able to get the situation under good control.  While she
is healthy, active, and dieting; she has not been able to lose the  weight a
second time.

Doc Don

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.