THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:52:57 EST
In a message dated 2/14/2008 1:31:42 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Does  high altitude in the jet, and/or high altitude in the Rockies, etc., if
we  drive up, cause hyperthyroidism?  Somewhere I read this, but don't  know
where.>>>>>
Holly,

It is less of a "cause" than of a risk factor. Any kind of stress can have
an adverse effect on your Hypothalamic - Pituitary - Adrenal / Thyroid axis.
This doesn't mean that it will, just that it will call this system into action,
 and pre-existing problems can be exacerbated.

However, most people who live in or travel to high altitudes and  never have
problems.

The only reason we evolved a Neuro-Endocrine system is to adjust our
Internal Milieu to our External Milieu. So, any change we make in the latter  will
make some change in the former.

I hope this helps.

Doc Don

(aka D. Michael, MD, PC. MIshawaka, Indiana)

Awards. Go to AOL Music.

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.