THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"D. Heyes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:48:25 -0500
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:39:22 -0800, Martie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

><<Is there a connection between Hashimoto's Disease and swollen lymph
>glands?... I have had three instances where my lymph glands have become
>quite swollen. >>

Swollen glands was one of the reason I went to see the Dr. when I was
originally diagnosed with Hashimoto's 9 months ago.  Mine came on rather
suddenly after an acute Strep A infection in my leg.  I was exteemely
fatigued, gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks, and my hair started falling out.  While
the Dr was examining my neck for the offending glands she noticed that my
thyroid was enlarged.  I go to a large medical practice with many doctors
and had never bothered t
o try to see the same one all the time because I had
never had any ongoing medical problems in the past.  I just happened to get
the endochrinologist on staff that day. She ordered a TSH and an antibody
test, and my TSH came back at 7 and the antibody test was positive.  She put
me on Levoxyl and we've been slowly ramping it up.  I'm not yet where I need
to be....I just increased to .125 mg....but I do feel somewhat better.  The
weight gain stopped and my hair isn't falling out.  But, I'm still plagued
with swollen glands from time to time, and still way more tired than I
should be.

As endo's go, I think I must be somewhat lucky.  Although she does wait to
see my lab results before making final decisions, my last TSH was 4.5 but
based on the symptoms I was still experiencing, she upped my Levoxyl dosage.
She'd like to get my TSH down to 1 to 2.  But when asked about natural
thyroid or a T3 and T4 combo C she did say that synthetic T4 was really all
the most people need, so she isn't completely open minded!

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]