THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:38:46 -0600
Dear Holly and Thyroid folks,

In terms of gentler on the system and easier on the heart, I'm not
sure - but here are a couple of suggestions:

I wish I could find my index card with factors that facilitate
conversion of T4 to T3 - but I remember a few things,
one is adequate copper and the other is adequate ferritin
levels.  From my own experience, I needed lower dose Armour when I
started taking iron.  My doctor had read about ferritin levels and
conversion.  A quick google search suggests that low zinc levels may
play a part as well.

Stress management is such a big factor with many conditions - but
particularly with autoimmune diseases.  Anything to reduce and/or
manage stress is probably going to be beneficial for your heart, and
reduce the autonomic stimulation that you mentioned in your email -
cognitive-behavioral therapies, music, exercise, meditation, yoga, etc.

A few other things worth looking at possibly include - heavy metals
(testing for and chelation if the levels are high) has been shown to
help and is being used experimentally for certain conditions.  And
food allergies - I recently started treatment for allergies and
changed my diet to have more variety and avoid my biggest "triggers"
such as dairy, chocolate and potatoes.  Those diet changes seem to
help relieve pimples, constipation and anxiety in my case and can
sometimes help with other problems as well.

Hope this helps a little.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Regards,
Susan

>Question for the group:  since my body needs just a 'tad' of thyroid hormone
>to feel well, would anyone know of a thyroid 'supplement' or thyroid
>'support' that is more gentle in the system, and easier on the heart?

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!