THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:41:45 -0400
>From:    Suzanne <[log in to unmask]>

  My heart has been pounding nonstop and =
>my pulse is very fast=20
>(100-120).

Two potential reasons I know of for that.

One, is too much thyroid medication, too quickly.

Two is that some hypos produce adrenaline to compensate for the low thyroid.
  These people find that increasing the thyroid medication, lowers the heart
rate.

I would hope they're giving you Inderall to control the heart rate?  The
main problem with too much thyroid hormone is the potential for heart damage
from beating too fast.

As for orthostatic intolerance, is that increased heart rate, but the blood
pressure falls?  That is quite common in those with low adrenal function.
In fact, the literature says that's supposed to be treated first, and
probably should have been started before surgery if that was an issue.

Increases in thyroid medication can precipitate adrenal crises, if one's
adrenals are not supported.

If you don't have full blown Addison's Disease, but only have low
functiioning adrenals the treatment is typically 5 mg of Hydrocortisone four
times daily.  (Hydrocortisone is bio-identical to your natural hormone,
Prednisone is a synthetic analog, which isn't nearly as helpful.  Anyways,
20 mg of hydrocortisone is only equal to 5 mg of Prednisone.)

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=thyroid&A=1>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]