THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judy Welte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:33:47 -0400
However, I notice my
body temperature has dropped since I started the meds. I consistently run
97.2 instead of the normal 98.6.

I have notice a few posts about Wilson's protocol having something to do
with body temperature.

Hi Alex,
As I understand it, with the Wilson's protocol, when the body is able to
convert T4 to active hormone T3 and the cells are able to function normally,
the body's level of metabolism is increased and body temperature rises.
In the hypometabolic state of hypothyroidism, due to an improperly
functioning thyroid gland or faulty conversion of T4 to active T3 for whatever
reason (inability of liver to make necessary enzymes, increased production of
reverse T3 instead of active T3 which cells need, or reasons which we don't
know yet) the body is functioning at a lower level of metabolism with all the
symptoms: fatigue, coldness, difficulty concentrating, etc.
I hope this explanation is correct (as we all know, with research it is an
ongoing search for the truth; what we know today can change in a hearbeat.
Hence the name re-search.
In my case, I had all the classic hypothyroid symptoms when my average
temperatures, taken at 12, 3, and 6, were 98.0 or less. With one cycle of T3
therapy, my average temps climbed to 98.4 and my symptoms were gone.
It was really amazing how 6 years on T4 therapy, generics and Synthroid, did
nothing for my symptoms, and 2 weeks of T3 therapy cured them. I don't
understand why this treatment isn't prescribed more often. But, then, I guess
Doc Don explained it with his infinite wisdom in a previous post. This T3
therapy just won't make the big dollar profits for the drug companies as the
T4 drugs do, so it is just put up on the shelf. The problem with that is that so
many of us don't get the treatment we need to get well.
Judy
When you start charting your temperatures, you might be able to correlate
symptoms with temperatures.
Judy

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.