THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:18:04 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2007 9:07:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Everyone:

I would like to get advice on options for treating  subclinical
hypothyroiditus.  Here is my situation as far as bloodwork is  concerned:

TSH      5.18
Free T3  Normal
Free  T4  Normal
Antibodies        662...

Thanks -- dave>>>>

In a word, YIKES. While it is not possible to make a Diagnosis  off lab work
alone, everyone I have seen with similar lab has  qualified as pretty ill.

I fear that your doc might treat the numbers rather than  your health. And
while you may not notice any "symptoms;" I would suspect that  you will notice
them, after you are treated.

My Hypothyroidism crept up on me over several years with  chronic fatigue,
(great sleeping), diminished endurance, decreased libido, cold  intolerance,
muscle weakness, weight gain, and a host of other problems  that I never saw as
abnormal, until I got better.

In addition to the slowness of  the changes, a 10% decrease in thyroid
function means a 10%  decrease in brain function (Langer, MD in Solved: The Riddle
of Illness). And,  our self critical faculties are the first to go.

Vigorous treatment of "Subclinical Hypothyroidism," in  general, is a good
idea. I have seen many people who lingered in untreated  Hypothyroidism. Thyroid
nodules are more common in a Thyroid Gland that has been  over driven with
TSH, and at time these nodules can become precancerous.

In my experience, you don't even need to be that conservative  in Thyroid
replacement. If you give enough to totally replace the gland's  output, the
Thyroiditis often diminishes after years.

Most importantly, you doctor needs to pay attention to your  health than to
your lab work.

A prayer that this helps you get what you need to do  well.

Doc Don

(AKA D. Michael, MD, PC)

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.