THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2008 11:58:32 +0800
Hello Allyn,

While I do not have Wolfe-Parkinson-White Syndrome-- I do get tachycardia
even before I started taking Levothyroxine. That's about 15yrs ago. I used
to manage that with Atenolol 50mg plus Levothyroxine. Now I find Betaxolol
(Kerlone) 20mgs. to be more appropriate and long lasting and without the
usual beta blocker side effects.

WPW Syndrome is an anomaly in the heart's electrical conduction system.
Between the upper chamber (atrium) and the lower chamber (ventricles) there
exist an electrical connection (fibers) that transmit the impulse fired by
what is called SA node (sino-atrial) down to the lower chambers. In WPW,
there are other paths where these impulses are conducted aside from forward
also retrogrades. With this the conduction system becomes chaotic. Radio
frequency ablation seems to be the new treatment. I have a bro in law who
has this condition and he is managed well by beta blockers.

Hope this helps..

Greg