THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donald Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:42:15 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2007 9:07:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I had a  positive start and have seen a significant decrease in
fatigue, but I have  had some stalls along the way--one week at 45 mcg per
day and now 105 mcg  per day.  If I take more, my temp and pulse go up.
Have you  seen this with patients? >>>>>
I wish I had seen this a few times before; unfortunately, I have lost count
of how many times I have seen this kind of thing in my patients.

Two things come to mind immediately:

1. You might be a "Rapid Compensator." This is Dr. Wilson's term for those
folks who, initially seem to be on the right amount of sustained release
Liothyronine (SRT3); but after days, weeks, or months, they need another  increase.
Don't worry, this is common. Once people get the "Right" amount; they  are
usually fine on that amount, allowing for slight increases in cold  weather.

or

2. You may be suffering from some degree of Adrenal Fatigue. Adrenal  Fatigue
is a condition usually due to excess stress or regular stress while
Hypothyroid. With Adrenal Fatigue, thyroid hormones don't behave properly.  Either
they do nothing at all, or a relatively low dose of thyroid replacement  gives
over dosage symptoms.

The best discussion I have found of Adrenal Fatigue is the book, "Adrenal
Fatigue: The 21rst Century Stress Syndrome," by (the other) Wilson.

Dr. Rind also has a good Web Site that discusses this overlap between
Adrenal Insufficiency and Thyroid problems.

If temperatures bounce around a lot or don't go up nicely, but  increasing
SRT3 causes problems; people sometime do well with "Thyrocare"  that they sell
on the Wilson Syndrome site.

I hope this helps.

Doc Don

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.